Official documentation of the Megascans Plugin for Autodesk 3ds Max
The Megascans Plugin for Autodesk 3ds Max allows you to connect Quixel Bridge and 3ds Max, giving you a one-click solution for importing your Megascans, Mixer and custom assets straight into 3ds Max within seconds.
This tool relies on Bridge’s robust architecture to give you the best asset management experience, and 3ds Max python implementation to create materials, textures and geometry automatically, giving you photorealistic results on the go.
Autodesk 3ds Max 2017 and above
It currently supports only the very latest versions of the following render engines for 3ds Max:
- V-Ray Next
- Open Bridge, then in the Downloaded section click on the asset you want to export. You should see the Export Settings side panel below:
- Set the “Export To” dropdown to “3ds Max” and then click on “Download Plugin”. This should take less than a minute.
Once the download is done the settings will change a bit to this:
- Click on the “Copy” button to copy the “Script” line. You can also directly click on the script line, then press CTRL + A to select all, and copy with CTRL + C.
- In 3ds Max, go to Scripting > New Script:
- In the Script Editor that opens, paste your code i.e. the copied Script from Bridge
- Next, go to Tools > Evaluate All to run the script, or simply press CTRL+E to run it. You should now have a Megascans menu item in the 3ds Max menu bar:
Updating the Plugin
Updating the plugin is done exactly as the installation process described above. But make sure to restart 3DS Max after installing an update of the plugin.
The plugin has a minimal interface now, only exposing the option of Apply Material to Selection. When checked, this checkbox will automatically apply imported surfaces on the selected object(s) in the scene.
When you click on the Megascans option in the menu bar, it will appear as follows:
You can view the version of plugin on top of this window.
Exporting assets to 3ds Max
The plugin automatically starts when you start 3ds Max. Make sure to select your render engine in 3ds Max before exporting any asset from Bridge.
- In Bridge, click on the asset you want to export in the Downloaded section to open the Export Settings:
- Set the “Export To” to 3ds Max before you export. You can also tweak your export settings, like texture format, LODs, mesh format (FBX or OBJ), etc.
- Click the “Export” button
As soon as you click on “Export” in Bridge your asset should pop up in the scene.
If the current installation process in Bridge isn’t suitable for your pipeline, you can download the plugin manually from here [LINK TO PLUGIN DOWNLOAD], put the MSLiveLink folder in your typical script directory, and simply call it with the following lines:
import MSLiveLink.MS_API as msAPI
The Megascans plugin for 3DS Max provides the following materials setups for V-Ray Next.
Material Setup for V-Ray Next
The material set up for V-Ray Next uses the VRayHDRI maps.
3D Plant Material
3D Asset and 3D Scatter Material