Official documentation of the Megascans Plugin for Unity 3d
Windows and Mac OS
Unity 5 and above
❗Note: It is highly advised that you delete the contents of the ‘Assets/Quixel/Scripts’ folder if you had previously used either the HD or non-HD importers. Not doing so can result in unpredictable behaviour in the new import script.
- Open Bridge, then in the Downloaded section click on the asset you want to export. You should see the Export Settings side panel below:
- Set the “Export To” dropdown to “Unity” and then click on “Download Plugin”. This should take less than a minute.
Once the download is done the popup will change a bit to this:
- Next, click on the “Open Plugin Folder” to locate the MegascansImporter.unitypackage file to import into Unity.
- To install the plugin, either drag the importer located above into your Unity project.
- Alternatively, you can click 'Assets > Import Custom Package' inside Unity, and select the Megascans Importer unity package located in Step 3.
- Set the Project Location to where you would like to import the assets inside your Unity project. E.g. “D:\Unity Projects\Jungle Asset Pack\Assets\Megascans”. You can also set the Import Path in the plugin’s interface inside Unity but Project Location field has to be cleared first if you want to use the Import Path field. This folder path is used as the root import folder by the plugin.
The Unity settings window is a system wide settings tool, and it will remember your settings between Unity versions and projects.
- Workflow - Set your PBR workflow type between Metallic or Specular.
- Displacement - Choose vertex, pixel, or no displacement.
- Shader Type - Choose the SRP (Render Pipeline).
- Import Resolution - Choose resolution for texture importer settings.
- LOD Fade Mode - Customize LOD fade mode.
- Setup Collision - Click this checkbox to add colliders to geometry.
- Generate Terrain Normals - Click this checkbox to enable the creation of Normal map with flipped Y-axis.
- Apply To Selection - Checking this option will apply the newly imported surface type assets to the selected gameobject in the scene given the selected gameobject has a “Mesh Renderer” component.
- Add Asset to the Scene - Checking this option will import the 3d assets and place them in your scene at the origin.
- Enable Live Link - Click this checkbox to enable the plugin. This link is persistent, and will remain open as long as the box is checked. It will persist across projects and sessions, and doesn’t require the settings window to remain open in order to work. You may end the link at any time by unchecking the box.
The Quixel team can work with you to support any custom exporters or exporter improvements you develop on your own, as part of the official Megascans Bridge release version. For such collaborations, please review this article.