Megascans Livelink for Unity
Official documentation of the Megascans LiveLink plugin for Unity 3d
It is highly advised that you delete the contents of the ‘Assets/Quixel/Scripts’ folder if you had previously used either the HD or non-HD importers. Not doing so can result in unpredictable behaviour in the new import script.
The importer is designed to work on all versions of Unity from 5 to 2018, on both Windows and OSX platforms.
- Open Bridge, then in the Downloaded section click on the asset you want to export. You should see the Export Settings side panel below:
- Set the “Export To” dropdown to “Unity” and then click on “Download Plugin”. This should take less than a minute. Once the download is done the popup will change a bit to this:
- Next, click on the “Open Plugin Folder” to locate the MegascansImporter.unitypackage file to import into Unity.
- To install the plugin, either drag the importer located above into your Unity project.
- Alternatively, you can click 'Assets > Import Custom Package' inside Unity, and select the Megascans Importer unity package located in Step 3.
- Set the Project Location to where you would like to import the assets inside your Unity project. E.g. “D:\Unity Projects\Jungle Asset Pack\Assets\Megascans”. You can also set the Import Path in the LiveLink’s interface inside Unity but Project Location field has to be cleared first if you want to use the Import Path field. This folder path is used as the root import folder by the LiveLink.
The Unity settings window is a system wide settings tool, and it will remember your settings between Unity versions and projects.
- Workflow - Set your PBR workflow type between Metallic or Specular.
- Displacement - Choose vertex, pixel, or no displacement.
- Shader Type - Choose the SRP (Render Pipeline).
- Import Resolution - choose resolution for texture importer settings.
- LOD Fade Mode - customize LOD fade mode.
- Setup Collision - Click this checkbox to add colliders to geometry.
- Generate Terrain Normals - Click this checkbox to enable the creation of Normal map with flipped Y-axis.
- Apply To Selection - Checking this option will apply the newly imported surface type assets to the selected gameobject in the scene given the selected gameobject has a “Mesh Renderer” component.
- Add Asset to the Scene - Checking this option will import the 3d assets and place them in your scene at the origin.
- Enable Live Link - Click this checkbox to enable the live link. This link is persistent, and will remain open as long as the box is checked. It will persist across projects and sessions, and doesn’t require the settings window to remain open in order to work. You may end the link at any time by unchecking the box.
The Quixel engineering team can work with you to support any custom exporters or exporter improvements you develop on your own, as part of the official Megascans Bridge release version. For such collaborations, reach out to email@example.com.
Terrain Tools (Beta)
Unity Livelink version 2.11 brings new terrain tools for level designers. Now you can quickly blend materials and start painting on the terrain.
- Unity 2018.x or above
- For Unity version 2018.1 and 2018.2
- Only available in HDRP
- Can set maximum of 4 paint layers.
- For Unity version 2018.3 and above
- Available for all render pipelines.
- Can set maximum of 8 paint layers.
How to use it
- Create a new terrain in the scene.
- Set the texture tiling property for layers.
- Select the terrain in scene view and the folder containing the material (that you intend to paint on the terrain) or select the material itself in the Project Hierarchy view.
- Click “Setup Paint Layers” and Voila!
- Start painting...
The terrain tool will automatically generate terrain material and assign paint layers to it. It will also generate a splat map for the terrain. For Unity 2018.3 and above the terrain tool will only generate terrain layer for every material and assign that to the terrain layers.
Decal Tool (Beta)
Unity Livelink version 2.x brings new decal generator tool for the artists. Now you can quickly create a decal material and a prefab within a few seconds.
- Unity 2018.2.x or above
- HDRP (High Definition Render Pipeline)
How to use it
- Go to Window > Quixel > Enable HDRP Features (Give it a few seconds to update the UI and then you should see something like the following window.)
- the material that you would like to use as a decal.
- Adjust the Opacity and scale settings.
- Finally, click “Create Decal Projector” and voila! (A material and a prefab will be created).
“Could not send data over Port 13081” error in Bridge
Either the livelink is not enabled or the livelink could not initialize the socket properly. Most of the time unchecking “Enable Livelink” and re-checking it again will fix this problem.
“I can’t find the importer window now that i’ve closed it…”
You can access the importer window by opening the ‘Windows’ menu, and finding ‘Quixel/MegascansImporter’. Or you can right click in your asset browser, and find ‘Quixel/MegascansImporter’.
The importer fails to compile with ‘error CS0234: the type or namespace ‘Rendering’ does not exist in the namespace ‘UnityEditor.Experimental’, Are you missing an assembly reference?‘
You are using an older version of the importer, please make sure your importer is up to date.
“Could not decompress the package”
This error has a few different causes, all relating to the Unity editor itself.
- Potential reason 1: Unity caches your packages in a hidden directory in your profile on your main operating system disk. Does your disk have enough space free to download the package?
- FIX: Create more space and try reimporting your package. You need at least twice as much space as the unpackaged file takes up.
- Potential reason 2: Does your Unity Project or UnityPackage exist in a directory with non-English characters in it?
- FIX: Remove the non english characters. from the project and package directories.
- Potential reason 3: Do you have read\write access to the UnityPackage, its parent directory, and your Unity Project's directory?
- FIX: Fix up your permissions.
If this issue persists, please contact Unity support directly, or open a Unity ticket here: https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new