The Megascans plugin for Unity 3d allows you to connect Quixel Bridge and Unity, giving you a one-click solution for importing your Megascans, Mixer and custom assets straight into Unity within seconds.
This tool relies on Bridge’s robust architecture to give you the best asset management experience, and Unity’s C# implementation to create materials, textures and geometry automatically, giving you photorealistic results on the go.
Windows and Mac OS
2020.2, 2020.3 and 2021.1
Plugin installation is part of Bridge Export Settings. These settings are global and once set up, will not need to be changed too often.
You can install the plugin using any one of these methods:
- You can set up the plugin when you launch Bridge after installing it for the first time on your machine.
- Through Export Settings.
- Through the Manage Plugins option in the Edit menu.
❗Note: It is highly advised that you delete the contents of the ‘Assets/Quixel/Scripts’ folder if you had previously used either the HD or non-HD importers. Not doing so can result in unpredictable behaviour in the new import script.
Installation during initial setup
- When you launch Bridge after installing it for the first time on your machine, you will see initial setup options. Click the Library Path to choose the folder on disk where you would like your asset library to be.
The Library Path is important because this is where Bridge will store your assets and plugins. If you don’t already have a folder for this purpose, Bridge will create it for you.
- Click Next.
- From the Export Target drop-down, select Unity.
- Click Download Plugin to begin downloading the plugin.
Once the plugin has been downloaded you should see a Plugin Downloaded Successfully message in Bridge and a few new instructions will show up to help you configure the plugin’s installation which are as follows:
- In Unity, go to, Assets > Import Package > Custom Package.
- Navigate to /Megascans Library/Support/Plugins/Unity/Version/ and open the file called Megascans_Importer.unitypackage.
- Click Import.
- Set the Default Project to where you would like to import the assets inside your Unity project. E.g. “D:\Unity Projects\FPS Game\Assets\Megascans”. Alternatively, you can set the Import Path in the plugin’s interface inside Unity but if you want to use this method, make sure to clear the Project Location field in Bridge first.
- Click Done to complete the set up.
Installation via Export Settings
- To access the settings, click the gear icon on the bottom left corner of the asset’s right panel or go to Edit > Export Settings.
- Click Export Settings in the pop-up menu to view all the export options. You can tweak your settings, like texture format, LODs, mesh format (FBX or OBJ), etc.
- In Bridge, go to the Local filter in the left panel to export a downloaded asset. Make sure Unity is running.
- Click the Quick Export icon or hit the Export button.
As soon as you click on Export in Bridge your asset should pop up in Unity.
Exporting Alembic Files
In order to export Alembic files from Bridge you first need to have the Alembic package installed in your Unity project.
You can install the package through the Package Manager as follows:
- Go to Window > Package Manager.
- Select the Alembic package from the left side panel.
- Click Install.
The Bridge Plugin window in Unity, is a system wide settings tool that allows you to configure the plugin’s import settings that will govern how assets will be set up in Unity. It will remember your settings between Unity versions and projects.
- Workflow - Set your PBR workflow type between Metallic or Specular.
- Displacement - Choose vertex, pixel, or no displacement.
- Shader Type - Choose the SRP (Render Pipeline).
- Import Resolution - choose resolution for texture importer settings.
- LOD Fade Mode - customize LOD fade mode.
- Import Path - Set up an import path in case you did not specify it in the Bridge.
- Setup Collision - Click this checkbox to add colliders to geometry.
- Flip Normal Y (Green) Channel - Click this checkbox to enable the import of Normal map with Flipped Y channel. This feature is only available for 2D Surfaces.
- Apply To Selection - Checking this option will apply the newly imported surface type asset to the selected gameobject(s) in the scene given the selected gameobject(s) has a “Mesh Renderer” component.
- Add Asset to the Scene - Checking this option will import the 3d assets and place them in your scene at the origin.
- Create Prefabs - Checking this option will create the prefabs for 3d asset(s) on import.
- Import Lower LODs - Checking this option will import lower LOD files of the 3d asset(s).
- Create LOD Groups - Checking this option will set up LOD groups for the prefabs. You need to have “Import Lower LODs” and “Create Prefabs” enabled to use this option.
- Import All Textures - Checking this option will import all maps that you downloaded for a particular asset. (Check this option if you added any new channel packed texture to the preset.)
- Enable Plugin- Click this checkbox to enable the plugin. This link is persistent, and will remain open as long as the box is checked. It will persist across projects and sessions, and doesn’t require the settings window to remain open in order to work. You may end the link at any time by unchecking the box.
You can channel pack your textures in Bridge and export them to Unity. This means that the actual channel packing operation takes place in Bridge and packed textures are imported into Unity by the plugin.
If you are using custom shaders in Unity and would like to import your own channel packed textures then check the Import All Textures option in the plugin Settings.
❗Note: Don’t change the channel packing preset in Unity unless you are using your own custom shader. If you are using your custom shader then you will have to manually set the textures for it.