One thing I have to do often ist rearranging and combining decals and atlas textures. Mixer could be an ideal tool, but its actually mostly useless for that.
So how could it be improved, well there are many problems.
- First one, we need to be able to have a load preset for decals, so for example the metalness texture is not loaded at all and also any costume textures do not get loaded, its all about doing that manual for each textures.. painful.
- The name of a decal is confusing. First there are true names in the library, then in the folders there are IDs and the layer list, there is not any unique name. So if you have to load an additional texture channel for your decal, you have no information about where to start. There is no link to the folder, there is no ID anywhere. Again painful.
- The placing of decals should be done via gizmo right in the viewport. No idea if its only my but I never got one. Always have to use the numbers and then its really lagging a lot.
- Decals should always be placed freeform and not tiled. I have to do that manual each time, there is no way to teach Mixer to do that the way I want be default, or in a session. So having to set 10 decals means 10 times change the settings.. painful.
- Export, many have reported that there is no way to export the opacity channel. Its sad, but then there is also no way to export translucent color, if you haven't gone through the whole setup and export. Hey I'm 10 times faster doing that in an photo app!
- Displacement, also displacement need to be enabled for each decal. Its 0.0 by default. Why?
So, maybe Mixer is not the software to do that. Not sure. But consider these points as worth to do improvements.
Please sign in to leave a comment.